Stress may increase your blood pressure and your heart rate. This can damage the artery walls and lead to plaque buildup. Stress can also lead you back to bad habits like smoking and overeating.
- If you have something really important you must get done, block out time on your calendar. Try not to schedule anything else during that time.
- Lower your standards. The world will not end if you don’t finish each and every task.
- Write down your thoughts and feelings.
- Think of waiting time as free time. Read a book, write letters, or just relax.
- Do one thing at a time. Don’t try to eat, watch TV, and talk with your family all at once.
- Talk out your problems with a counselor or a trusted friend.
- Plan ahead. Buy more stamps or bus tokens before you run out, fill up the gas tank when you still have a quarter tank.
- Remember that some tasks need to be done perfectly, and others just need to be done.
- Don’t forget to take a break in the middle of the day – even if it’s only 20 minutes.
- Do something you enjoy every day.