Saturated fat and cholesterol are two of the biggest threats to your heart. Choose low-fat, low-cholesterol foods whenever possible:
- Canola oil, olive oil, avocado, nuts
- Non-fat or 1% milk non-fat or low-fat yogurt
- Fresh fruits and vegetables, plain frozen vegetables
- Whole-grain bread, cereal, pasta, pretzels
- White-meat chicken and turkey, dried beans, tofu, lean cuts of meat
* Consume fish, especially oily fish, at least twice a week. Children and pregnant women should avoid eating fish with the highest level of mercury contamination.
Foods to Lose
- Coconut oil, palm oil, coconut, butter
- Cream, whole milk, powdered creamers
- Vegetables fried in deep fat
- Donuts, muffins, pastries
- Hot dogs, bacon, beef, sausage, liver, bologna, salami
- Broil, roast, bake, steam, or microwave fish, chicken, turkey, and red meat.
- Take the skin off chicken and cut the extra fat off meat before you cook it.
- Brown meat under the broiler.
- Use wine or broth instead of fat.
- Use nonstick pans or cooking sprays.
- Steam or microwave vegetables, Serve with herbs or non-fat, butter-flavored seasoning.